I am thinking that I may make this a regular feature on Fridays: I’ll ask my readers for ideas and suggestions on a topic I am working on.
I’m looking for a crafty, but simple, mission project that may productively occupy time for staff and guests at an overnight program for homeless men and women from December 1 through March 31 each year. This won’t be a required activity, but my sense is that many of our guests will welcome this from time to time.
When I was meeting with the Whitewater young Optimists they shared a project that they do regularly for team-building and just accomplishing something good. The make non-sew fleece tied blankets
for children that have been displaced from their homes by fire or other disaster, or domestic disturbance. The materials are provided by a county agency, and I think the blankets are distributed by the Walworth County Sheriff’s Department.
I am looking for similar project for our group of staff, hosts, and guests to work on during cold winter evenings. I believe the experience of mission is uplifting, and I believe in connecting groups.
Does anyone know of a group that uses these blankets in Milwaukee? I especially would like to find an organization that has the materials but needs the labor. Does the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Department or Milwaukee Police Department have a need for these blankets? Or do you know of any other projects that we might work on instead of just watching TV and eating at night? I am open to most ideas, but here are my criteria:
* Provide meaningful service or meet a need of the community;
* If a craft, it should be simple enough that I can learn it, since I will need to teach it;
* Not be too expensive to make;
* Allow for the completion of some segments in an evening;
* Provide opportunities for 10 to 20 workers at a time.
If you have ideas or new suggestions, please share with me here or email your ideas to me.
- CannedWater4kids Supports 2 Iraq War Veterans in Their Walk from Milwaukee to Los Angeles to Raise $100,000 and Awareness for PTSD (prweb.com)